short corner. The above sentiment is nothing revolutionary, but let's examine why it works.
When the ball drives baseline, there are several factors in favor of the defense:
- The offense is actually decreasing the usable court space.
- The baseline becomes a defensive “sixth man”.
- Shooting angles are not as good as being in the middle of the floor (read: shooting percentages drop).
- Natural passing angles are fewer and more difficult.
- Non-ball defenders seem to drop toward the goal more easily than when the ball is driven into the middle.