- the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.
- an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.
- determination; resoluteness.
Verb (used with object)
- to set as an aim, intention, or goal for oneself.
- to intend; design.
The above is an abbreviated definition of the word purpose from Dictonary.com.
“The reason for which something is done.”
If you want to be successful, on or off the court, there must be a distinct purpose to everything you do. Everything.
Without purpose, you will waste time, effort and (in many cases) money.
“Don’t confuse being busy with being productive.”
If you don’t have purpose, you aren’t being productive.
Just because a drill looks cool, doesn’t mean it’s purposeful.
Just because a drill is hard, doesn’t mean it’s purposeful.
For example, this exercise has zero purpose:
Why am I bringing this up now?
To make sure you train with purpose this spring and summer!
What is the purpose of your off-season strength & conditioning program?
- To reduce the occurrence and severity of injury (bulletproof your body)
- To improve your movement efficiency so you can perform your skills at a higher level
Every exercise and drill you do should accomplish one, if not both, of these distinct purposes.
I have worked really hard to create a YouTube channel that is full of truly purposeful, basketball-specific training content:
I hope you spend some time combing through past videos and SUBSCRIBE to make sure you don’t miss any future ones!
Train hard. Train smart. Train with purpose.